Hello and Welcome!
If you are a new patient, you may be wondering about what exactly it is we do here. We have put together a little tutorial to help our new patients better understand what a chiropractor does, and how it can help you feel better naturally.
What Is Chiropractic Healthcare?
It is unique and distinct from all of the other health care professionals because chiropractors do not dispense drugs nor do they perform surgery. Chiropractic has been around since 1895. Chiropractors rely on the body’s natural recuperative powers to maintain health. Derived from the Greek words “Cheir” meaning HAND and “Praktos” meaning DONE. Chiropractors use their hands to correct spinal misalignments called subluxations. Chiropractic is the only profession that utilizes gentle spinal alignments to free pinched nerves so that the body can heal itself.
Chiropractors focus on the spine and the origin of the nervous system to correct problems throughout the body. There are many advantages of Chiropractic care including:
- Avoiding unnecessary surgery and dangerous drugs
- Extending and improving your life and the lives of your family and loved ones through natural healing
- Stress reduction and stress relief
- Automobile accidents, improper lifting, stress and sitting too long can all cause vertebrae to malfunction. This malfunction interferes with the nerves the spine is meant to protect. This interference causes irritation to the spinal cord, or nerve roots. This irritation of the nerves and the effects it produces is what Doctors of Chiropractic call a SUBLUXATION or more precisely the Vertebral Subluxation Complex.
- Vertebral meaning relating to the bones of the spine or vertebrae; Subluxation meaning the improper motion or function of the vertebrae; and Complex meaning a condition consisting of the bone, the muscle, and the nerves.
- When the Vertebral Subluxation Complex is present many things can happen to the spine, muscles, tendons and ligaments and the organs and tissues controlled by the affected nerves. The Vertebral Subluxation Complex usually has five major interrelated components.
What Is Chiropractic Healthcare?
Chiropractic helps reverse the following:
Spinal Kinesiopathology – the abnormal movement of the structures of the spine causing restriction in movement.
Neuropathophysiology – the damage to the nerves – stretching, pinching or irritating – interfering with normal function resulting from abnormal movement.
Myopathology – the changes in muscle such as weakness, wasting, or spasm due to abnormal spinal movement. Histopathology – the alterations in soft tissues, discs (bulging or herniation), and ligaments and the changes in the blood and lymph supply.
Pathophysiology – the cumulative, degenerative damage to the vertebrae (bone spurs) as it tries to stabilize and the effects of that on the organs and other tissues of the body.
The primary job of the Doctor of Chiropractic is to detect, correct and help prevent the Vertebral Subluxation Complex using Chiropractic spinal adjustment as the primary form of treatment.
Applying a carefully and precisely directed force exerted by his or her hands to the spine, the Doctor of Chiropractic is able to help restore normal motion and function to the spine, thereby reducing or eliminating the Vertebral Subluxation Complex.
A Chiropractor uses the most time-tested techniques and specializes in hard to treat and “last resort” cases that have not responded to other forms of treatment. We are trained in six different techniques. Finding one that will fit your needs is our goal so you will always leave feeling great.
Adjustments are carefully given using gentle thrusts designed to correct spinal problems known as subluxations. (A subluxation in the spinal condition that can cause health problems by interfering with the function of your nervous system, causing arthritis and muscle spasms.)
These adjustments are safe enough for even tiny infants. Any health condition that is subluxation based will most likely respond to spinal adjustments. The goal of chiropractic is to keep your nervous system free of nerve interference, help prevent arthritic joints and muscle spasms by regularly checking for spinal misalignments known as subluxations.